Friday, April 23, 2010

New Town, New Peeps!

I think the biggest challenge about our move to Colorado, has been meeting people. Especially for me since I currently do not have a job... which is pretty much how I met all my friends (some in a round about way) in our old state. We love our neighborhood, our neighbors are great, but we are the youngest here and don't have kiddos yet... which means we rarely see them. John has made guy friends through work that he skis with, but it really hasn't done much for me.

So what's a girl to do in a new town? Join meetup.com. Seriously.

What's Meetup?
Meetup is on a mission to help the world’s people self-organize into local groups.
So far more than 6.5 million people have signed up and formed over 60,000 local Meetup Groups.



I was so hesitant to join at first, which is why I waited until I lived here for 5 months before checking them out. I regret waiting that long! In the past few weeks I've joined over 10 groups for everything from hiking to movies to wine tasting. I realize my experiences may have just been luck (no crazies yet), and I've been pretty particular about the groups I've joined... but I have met some really fun, great people through the groups! Since I signed up I have met not just people that share the same interests, but some friends... where we talk and hang out outside of the group. The best part is, my calendar is FULL of fun stuff. If I wanted, I could do a different meetup every day of the week.

Like being outdoors? Hiking, snowshoeing, climbing 14ers, camping? There's a group or 10 groups for one or all of those activities.
Like volunteering? There's a group for that.
Like scary movies? There's a group for that.
Like adventure (rock climbing, kayaking, white water rafting)? There's a group for that.
Like photography? There's a group for that. 
Like going to the theater and/or seeing musicals? There's a group for that.
If you can think of it, there's probably a group for it, but if not you can always start your own. If you're looking for people who are interested in the activities you love doing, and want to meet new friends... check them out. Obviously be careful, and meet in public places.  
No, I'm not being paid by meetup.com... but maybe I should! They are hiring... hmm.

4 comments:

  1. Wow- I'd never hear of meetup before. that's really cool! I'll have to check them out.

    Moving to a new place is really hard. You don't realize how much of a support network you build for yourself until it's gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea. I hope it works out for you. And you've done such an excellent P.R. job for them, they should think about hiring you!

    Being a writer in the Stephen King variety, I, of course, can think of some eerie scenario's. But that's just my imagination playing games with me.

    It is clear that you're intelligent, resourceful, and self-motivating. Those qualities will garner you friends in your new environment in due time. Waiting. That's always difficult in a new town.

    In an old one, too, come to think of it.

    May new, happy surprises greet you this week, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nice comments!

    Roland, I too have an active imagination and an interest in human behavior... including criminal minds (love the show...). It took me a long time to take the chance to join meetup for those reasons. I am always careful and aware of my environment.

    I think meetup is more popular here than other places, because since I started even thinking of joining I heard so much about them. We've even run into other meetup groups meeting in the same area (while on a meetup), and once I called to make a reservation for an art class and was asked if I was part of the meetup group (which I wasn't).

    I have a GREAT week planned - 3 hikes and 1 day of volunteering this week. :)

    ReplyDelete

I heart your comments!