Monday, June 21, 2010

Camping in Pike National Forest

We went camping this past weekend and had a great time. I felt like a kid again! We didn't do much planning... just found a campsite near a creek, packed up the car, and went for an overnight. We kept the meals simple since we didn't really prepare - hotdogs, s'mores (of course!), and cereal for breakfast.

We all had our roles - John chopped wood, I made the fire, and Koda guarded our site. Here's a few of my favorite pictures:
Deer Creek

Columbine, the CO state flower with wild yellow daisies

Koda on guard


Mmm... s'mores!
The next morning after packing up the car we went to the Mount Evans Wilderness just down the road and hiked along the Tanglewood Trail.

Crossing Tanglewood Creek




We didn't hike in very far because we started out later than we hoped. It's a beautiful area, we will be going back!

In other news, the bee hive we found just beyond our back yard fence was completely gone when we got home. I'm a little sad. I haven't asked around yet, but I'm betting one of our neighbors gave it a new home. I'm sure they're OK!

2 comments:

  1. It looks gorgeous! I love camping! Unfortunately it will be a few months before it's cool enough to go camping in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was gorgeous! We were camping at 9,000ft so it was chilly at night. Actually I was freezing... my summer sleeping bag didn't cut it. Temps were in the mid 80s during the day, and the sun is pretty intense at that elevation.

    You guys should come here to go camping... ;)

    ReplyDelete

I heart your comments!