Monday, March 14, 2011

I decided to start my own book club!

OK. So. In a fit of rebellion toward my neighborhood book club's book selection for March, I decided to start my own on goodreads.com! So far we officially have 7 members, and I'm waiting for a couple of others to sign up (that have said they are joining). If you're a personal friend of mine and did not receive a direct invitation to join, it's because I didn't think you'd be interested. I promise it wasn't personal :). If you ARE interested, and seriously interested in participating (no online stalkers please), shoot me an email and I'll send you an invitation. This is a private group limited to my personal friends, and their friends (who will soon become my friends - sorry blog-land peeps). Links to the group are in the widget below.


Book BABES's currently-reading book montage

Book BABES 7 members
This book club is about having fun reading, and sharing the experience with friends. Reading should...

Books we're currently reading

Hex Hall
Hex Hall

by Rachel Hawkins

Start date: March 13, 2011
View this group on Goodreads »




Here's the description which is cut-off above:
This book club is about having fun reading, and sharing the experience with friends. Reading should not be a chore! This group primarily reads young adult literature (who cares what our age is!), with a sprinkle of chick lit and best-selling fiction.
I selfishly want this club to be about FUN reading for ME, so yes, this group will focus on mainly young adult literature and all its fabulous sub genres - paranormal, mystery, fantasy, romance, sci-fi, and whatever else catches our eye. Occasionally we'll read best-selling fiction and chick lit (I'd say maybe 25% of the time). Basically, this book club is all about fun easy reads as the other club I'm in tends to be on the more serious side (historical fiction, non-fiction, etc.) I am personally striving to find those can-not-put-down-stay-up-all-night-OMG books!

I'm really hoping this book club thrives, and to do so, it needs active participants. We'll be selecting (by poll vote) a book to read each month and Denver locals will have monthly meetings (read: hang out, drink wine, discuss the book, eat chocolate, have girl talk, and drink more wine). If you're an out-of-towner, you are very much welcome! The books will be discussed online through discussion boards on the group's page, and depending on how many there are of us, we could try Skype to tie everyone together!

If you are not interested in the YA genre, or don't expect you'll be able to participate on a regular basis (life happens - work, kids, family stuff - so missing out on a couple of books is not a big deal), please do not join. I hate saying that... but I really rather keep it small than to have a huge group with only a few participants. We officially begin in April, the poll for book selection goes up this Wednesday (April 16th), and voting will end on Saturday. I'm trying to give everyone enough time to get their hands on a copy of the book. In the future I'll try to have books selected a month beforehand.

Anyhoo! Friends, let me know if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!