Friday, April 22, 2011

Kiva Goes Green

Unless you've been living under a rock, you've probably heard of kiva.org. If not, here's a very brief description:
We are a non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Leveraging the internet and a worldwide network of microfinance institutions, Kiva lets individuals lend as little as $25 to help create opportunity around the world. 
Why we do what we do
We envision a world where all people - even in the most remote areas of the globe - hold the power to create opportunity for themselves and others.
We believe providing safe, affordable access to capital to those in need helps people create better lives for themselves and their families.
I've loaned money through Kiva.org three times now, two have been paid back in full already. They are a great, GREAT organization helping empower people all over the world. It really feels good to help a person help themselves and their family. I also love hearing about the progress they are making, as some will post updates on how their business/project/housing is going. I didn't think I could rave about them any more highly, until I saw today that they are going "green" and are offering loans to help people live sustainably around the world. For more details click here. I just tried to make another loan, but unfortunately all the green loan requests are already funded! I was too late. But never fear, there will be more opportunities soon I'm sure, so if this is something you're interested in check back in a few days... OR... go ahead and make a different kiva loan. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!