Monday, February 08, 2010

Food, Inc.


Last night, my husband and I watched Food, Inc. and I'm still reeling.  I may never look at food the same way again. I was surprised by how much power the food industry has, and how only a few companies produce the majority of our food in this country. It was really interesting. 

Watch the trailer below...

Update: The trailer box doesn't fit within the blog template. Click here to watch it from the official website.



I definitely recommend watching this movie, if only for the sole reason of gaining a better understanding of where your food comes from. For those that have Netflix, it's available on Instant Play (I heart Netflix).

For me, this movie changed the way I will approach shopping. I have been checking labels, buying organic (dairy, eggs, and choice fruits and vegetables), and selecting "all natural" meat for some time.  But now I will be even more conscientious of what meat I'm buying, how much I'm buying, and where it comes from. My husband was worried that I was going to become vegetarian again... but I don't think that will happen. Have 1-2 days a week without meat? Absolutely.

5 Things You Can Do Now (from http://www.takepart.com/foodinc):
  1. Buy organic or sustainable food.
  2. Go without meat once a week.
  3. Read labels - know where your food comes from.
  4. Drink more water, fewer sugary beverages.
  5. Support companies that treat workers, animals, and the environment with respect.
If you'd like to take action, here are some links:
Take Part - Food, Inc.
Child Nutrition Act Reauthorization
Eat Well Guide

If you've seen the movie, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    I heart your comments!